Tuesday 15 September 2020

10th Grammar - modals page.no12,13,14

Grammar

A. Complete these sentences using appropriate modals. The clues in the brackets will help you.

1. When I was a child, I ………. climb trees easily but now I can’t. (ability in the past)
2. I ………… win this singing contest. (determination)
3. You …………. buy this book. It is worth buying. (advice or suggestion)
4. Poongothai ………….. speak several languages. (ability in the present)
5. I swear I …………. tell lies again. (promise)
6. My father ………… play badminton in the evenings when he was at college. (past habit)
7. You ……………. do as I say! (command)
8. ………… I have another glass of water? (request)
9. Sibi has not practised hard but he ……………. win the race. (possibility)
10. We …………… preserve our natural resources. (duty)
Answers:

  1. could
  2. can
  3. should
  4. can
  5. shall not
  6. used to
  7. should
  8. May
  9. can
  10. ought to

B. Rewrite the following sentences by rectifying the errors in the use of models.

Question 1.
Would I have your autograph?
Answer:
May l have your autograph?

Question 2.
I can be fifteen next April.
Answer:
I shall be fifteen next April.

Question 3.
Take an umbrella. It should rain later.
Answer:
Take an umbrella. It may rain later.

Question 4.
The magistrate ordered that he might pay the fine.
Answer:
The magistrate ordered that he must pay the fine.

Question 5.
Make me a cup of tea, shall you?
Answer:
Make me a cup of tea, will you?

Question 6.
You may speak politely to the elders.
Answer:
You must / ought to speak politely to the elders.

Question 7.
You will get your teeth cleaned at least once a year.
Answer:
You should get your teeth cleaned at least once a year.

Question 8.
We could grow vegetables in our kitchen garden but we don’t do it now.
Answer:
We used to grow vegetables in our kitchen garden but we don’t do it now.

Question 9.
Must I get your jacket? The weather is cold.
Answer:
Shall I get your jacket? The weather is cold.

Question 10.
Could the train be on time?
Answer:
Will the train be on time?

C. Read the dialogue and fill in the blanks with suitable modals.

Dad : Shall we go out for dinner tonight?
Charan : Yes, Dad. We shall go to a restaurant where I can have some ice cream.
Dad : OK. Then, I shall be home by 7 p.m. Mom and you must be ready by then.
Charan : Sure. We shall. My friend told me that there is a magic show nearby. Will you please take us there?
Dad : We may not have time to go for the magic show, I suppose. If we have enough time left, we shall plan.
Charan : By the way, must we inform our gate keeper about our outing?
Dad : Yes, we must so that he will be aware we aren’t at home.
Charan : Shall I call up Mom and tell her about our plan today?
Dad : You have to. Otherwise, we might be in trouble when she returns home.
Charan : Hmm… by the time you come home in the evening, we will be waiting for you. Hope you won’t be late. Bye.

D. Read the following dialogues and supply appropriate modals.

Student : Can we leave our bags in the class during the break?
Teacher : Yes, you may but arrange them neatly.
Passenger : My child is 6 years old. Do I have to buy him a ticket?
Conductor : Yes, you must. It costs half of the price of an adult ticket.
Vani : Can we go for coffee after the meeting?
Yoga : No, I shan’t. I have to go home.
Salesman : When will I receive my order?
Customer : I shall assure you sir, the order will be delivered tomorrow.
Neela : Do you think I should write about my education background in the resume?
Preethi : Yes, you must. You may get a better job.

E. Here are a few sentences already done for you. The clues given would be helpful to \ make more sentences on your own.

  1. I would suggest that you take the Uzhavan Express to Thanjavur from Chennai.
  2. You will be more comfortable if you could book 3 tier A/C.
  3. You could enjoy the trip.
  4. You should visit the temples,
  5. You mustn’t miss visiting the Big Temple.
  6. You can buy many artistic things.
  7. You must see the Saraswathi Mahal and its library.
  8. A big palace can be seen in Thanjavur.
  9. We shall buy Dancing Dolls.
  10. Thiruvaiyaru, Kallanai Dam and Poondi Church can be visited from Thanjavur.



No comments:

Post a Comment